Director of Music Ministry - Position Description
Faith Lutheran Church is an Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) congregation in Glen Ellyn, IL—a western suburb of Chicago. Faith is a growing community with generations of families as well as many newcomers who have made Glen Ellyn their home. We are a healthy congregation with a strong tradition of music ministry that engages the musical gifts of people of all ages and cultures. Worship at Faith seeks to grow, challenge, and nurture the congregation in living as God’s people.
We are looking for a new Director of Music Ministry to become part of the Faith church family in an ensemble atmosphere. You will be given the freedom to use your creativity to grow and strengthen talents in a supportive setting.
Director of Music Ministry
Faith Lutheran Church, Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Overview: Music occupies a central place in the life of Faith Lutheran Church both in worship and the power music has to stir and enhance faith formation and growth. To nurture this ministry the Director of Music Ministry focuses on four key areas:
Worship Ministry – Facilitate music as part of the ministry of the congregation
- Assist with weekly worship and long-range planning with the pastors
- Choose music for all groups that fit each group’s capabilities as well as containing the faith of the worshipping community, reflecting and deepening the message of each particular Sunday
- Strive to enhance the worship of the congregation through:
- Offering music as part of the liturgy
- Scheduling special music
- Utilizing various forms and mediums of music.
- Build interest in Faith’s music program through relationship building and regular communication
- Show interest in and commitment to ongoing professional, theological and spiritual development
- Provide educational opportunities on various topics of music in worship
- Show proficiency and comfort using technological skills needed to support and enhance music ministry
- Oversee the reporting of copyrighted music to appropriate licensing companies
- The Director of Music Ministry has the first right of refusal for all funerals, memorial services and weddings held at Faith.
Team Ministry – Work collaboratively with staff and volunteers in worship ministry
- Teamwork – Work with the pastors in worship planning; attend and contribute to weekly staff meetings; foster enthusiasm and build relationships with staff members, volunteers, and the congregation
- Leadership – Generate ideas to strengthen existing music; inspire church members of all ages to participate in music groups; coordinate and delegate to a team of volunteers
- Visionary – Use music to build on the overall goals of the church and specific worship services; demonstrate commitment to the historic Lutheran liturgy; along with diversifying through use of contemporary and multi-cultural resources
- Love of Music – Exhibit passion for music; uplift the musical gifts of all members of the congregation and enhance music in all areas of church life
Musicianship – Demonstrate accomplishment in a variety of musical areas
- Skillfully play liturgy, hymns and organ literature on 36-rank Noack mechanical action pipe organ
- Excel in directing choral, vocal and instrumental groups
- Capably teach both adults and children
Choral and Instrumental Music – Lead and coordinate the music ministry of various ensembles and individuals
- Enable various musical groups to lead the congregation in song; provide various kinds of service music and anthems; help teach new hymns and liturgy
- Recruit, educate, train and rehearse musicians participating in musical leadership; schedule all ensembles and soloists participating in worship; lead rehearsals with the goal of all groups providing effective and meaningful musical leadership
- Search out, review, and purchase new music as supported by the music budget
- Supervise preparation of printed materials needed for musical groups
- Lead the children’s music ministry; value the contributions made by young musicians
- Understand, maintain, and promote the use of the congregation’s resource of musical instruments, including, but not limited to:
- 36-rank Noack mechanical action pipe organ, pianos, electronic instruments, harpsichord, handbells, choir chimes, Orff instruments and other percussion instruments
- Set up or oversee set-up of equipment for choirs and music ensembles
- Arrange for capable substitutes to play and direct the groups when needed
Requirements and Qualifications
- Possess at minimum a bachelor’s degree in music, with master’s degree preferred
- Compliance with Faith Church’s Employee Handbook
- Able to move freely in and out of different ministry settings including between balcony and sanctuary.
Position Available: September
Compensation: Full-time with comprehensive benefits including health insurance, retirement, continuing education and vacation. Salary is commensurate with education, experience, and ability.
Contact: Deb Twaddle, Chair of Music Search Committee
To apply send letter of interest and resume to Deb Twaddle at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: July 23, 2021